Are Seven has moved! Go to areseven.com

This page has moved from its Blogspot origins and is now on a hosted server. If you're getting here from a blogspot.com bookmark or feed, stop where you are, go to areseven.com and never look back.

If you're feeling lazy, just hang on a couple seconds and you'll be redirected automatically.


Saturday, January 01, 2005

Happy New Year, you're my only vice

Happy New Year, everyone. One of my favorite days of the year: a new beginning, a new opportunity to set things right and try our hardest to live down our foolish New Year's Eve acts.

So you may notice the new addition in the upper right corner of the page. That's an ugly little Flash app that I cobbled together from a tutorial that I found online. It's not pretty, but it works, and this way, I can give you my latest listens as they live and breathe.

This first batch of songs is themed obviously. The star of it is the Camera Obscura song, "Happy New Year", which is on their re-released first album, Biggest Bluest Hi-Fi, which I picked up at Crooked Beat Records in Adams Morgan because I'd gotten so into their second album, Underachievers Please Try Harder. I was happy to find that not only was the first track perfectly appropriate to the calendar, but that the song itself was just as good if not better than anything on the new album.

Also on there is "New Year's Eve" by The Walkmen off of their fantastic Bows And Arrows album, "The New Year" by Death Cab for Cutie, and, I couldn't leave off the song that goes through my head every January first: "New Year's Day" by U2. It's the live version. Of course.

Any other New Year's songs I missed?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

jet black new year, by thursday.
& together we'll ring in the new year, by motion city soundtrack.

ps, i love deatch cab though.
goodjob picking that one