Are Seven has moved! Go to areseven.com

This page has moved from its Blogspot origins and is now on a hosted server. If you're getting here from a blogspot.com bookmark or feed, stop where you are, go to areseven.com and never look back.

If you're feeling lazy, just hang on a couple seconds and you'll be redirected automatically.


Friday, January 28, 2005

Take the Joanna Newsom challenge!

Do you think you can appreciate great songwriting even when the song is sung by someone with a really odd and often-difficult-to-take voice? Let's see! Listen to "Sadie" by Joanna Newsom, currently in the jukebox. It's the song that made me start liking Joanna Newsom, and it's a song that absolutely slays me now, one that I can't get enough of, but I need to stop listening to because it breaks my heart so completely.

Listen out for, "It's not my tune...but it's mine to use" and the final line of the song, which finishes me off.

3 comments:

Reid said...

And for those of you who read this regularly to stave off your work boredom, I added a link in the right hand column under "Music" where you can download the mp3s that are in the jukebox, ya fucking cheapskates.

Anonymous said...

Before I got the Joanna Newsom record, I listened to the Amazon sampler to see if I'd like it. I did this at work. And my co-worker goes, "What the F&#@ are you listening to???!"

Even though I wasn't convinced, I bought the record anyways.

I'm so moved. The one song off the record that gets me is the one where she plays the harpsichord and the chorus sounds like it was performed by the chorus from the production of "ANNIE."

Amazing.
(sorry about the long comment)
---k

Reid said...

I had a really hard time getting over her voice. It's not that it's *bad*...it's just bizarre. And even when I started liking the songs, I never thought that I'd actually love her voice. And now I do. Goes to show how much I know.