Are Seven has moved! Go to areseven.com

This page has moved from its Blogspot origins and is now on a hosted server. If you're getting here from a blogspot.com bookmark or feed, stop where you are, go to areseven.com and never look back.

If you're feeling lazy, just hang on a couple seconds and you'll be redirected automatically.


Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Them fires of crazy

I've said many times that one of the greatest things that happened to crazy people is the hands-free cell phone ear piece. In the last few years, my first reaction to seeing people walking down the street talking out loud has changed from "they're crazy" to "they're talking on the phone". People moved to converse to/with themselves are free to do so with less glaring in their direction.

But then there's times like tonight on the metro when, standing next to a woman who I heard quietly saying things like, "I'll never go there again" and "Rosslyn. Get off at Rosslyn", I assumed that she was talking on the phone only to realize that, no, she was just muttering to herself! I actually heard someone talking to herself! And not just a phrase or two but an entire conversation/monologue! I actually got a little excited at this development. It's been a long time since I saw someone who was well-dressed and seemingly well-adjusted showing some entertaining signs of schizophrenia. I think the last time was when I saw an straight-laced office type walking down King Street in Alexandria saying in a voice just under a yell, "I'll kill every goddamn one of you." You couldn't buy tickets to that quality of crazy.

I really hope these people are alright. Seriously I do. But my life isn't tremendously exciting, and to personally witness this kind of stuff that I usually think you couldn't make up is a little bit of a thrill in my day. I hope you won't deny me that.

No comments: