Are Seven has moved! Go to areseven.com

This page has moved from its Blogspot origins and is now on a hosted server. If you're getting here from a blogspot.com bookmark or feed, stop where you are, go to areseven.com and never look back.

If you're feeling lazy, just hang on a couple seconds and you'll be redirected automatically.


Friday, March 18, 2005

Never ever have I ever felt so low

Anyone who's suffered through more than a five minute conversation with me in the last few weeks knows that my latest musical project has been constantly listening to my "Never Played" playlist, made up of songs that I've never listened to on my computer. It's been fantastic. I've heard stuff that I haven't heard in years and am hearing album tracks that I've NEVER listened to, even on the CDs.

These are some things that I've learned from this playlist:

  • Early Led Zeppelin is great, and late Led Zeppelin is...not nearly as great.
  • Flin-Flon's lyrics are awful. And their ridiculous decision to put a 15-second silence at the end of each song is even more annoying when it's on shuffle than when you're listening to the whole album.
  • Radiohead has aged very, very well.
  • Jane's Addiction has NOT aged well.
  • Hank Williams Sr. rules.
  • There are some real gems in those Elvis Costello bonus tracks from the Rhino re-releases.
  • The songs from Beg, Scream and Shout sound even better in shuffle mode.
  • Grenadine's Goya sounds fantastic.
This decidedly unhelpful post has been brought to you by a hangover.

5 comments:

d-lee said...

I realllly like those live tracks on the Armed Forces bonus disc, especially "Stranger in the House".
I haven't listened to Goya in years, so now I'm gonna have to go run and give it a listen.

PeeKay said...

oooh! hangover, tell me more tell me more. let me drink excessively through your posts!

Hans said...

Great idea, Reid! I've just set up a Never Played playlist for myself. Right now I'm listening to "(She Was A) Hotel Detective" by They Might Be Giants, and I'm pretty happy about it.

Anonymous said...

I'm taking this idea one step further: I'm going out into the world and purchasing *every* album I've *never* purchased and will be henceforth exclusively listening to music of which I have/had little to no interest. Up next is Hanoi Rocks' debut album... ;)

Hans said...

Well, since you mentioned Hanoi Rocks, I'll go ahead and admit that before I made my 'Never Played' playlist, I was listening to my 'Buttrock' playlist pretty much exclusively.