Are Seven has moved! Go to areseven.com

This page has moved from its Blogspot origins and is now on a hosted server. If you're getting here from a blogspot.com bookmark or feed, stop where you are, go to areseven.com and never look back.

If you're feeling lazy, just hang on a couple seconds and you'll be redirected automatically.


Friday, October 21, 2005

Brake your bike or I'll do it for you

With all due respect and apologies to my close friend Mr. Dropstones, who turned into an avid bicycle repairman when I wasn't looking, I've had enough of city cyclists, and I plan on keeping a long stick with me at all times to shove in the spokes of the next bike that feels superior enough to dispense with courtesy, respect or safety.

I guess it starts with bicyclists feeling above motorists, and I can't really argue too much with that. Bikes are better than cars, for a ton of obvious reasons. And I suppose I can see why, when you're riding a bike, you might think that it's kind of dumb to always stop for stop signs and stoplights. You're on a bike, after all, and if you can jump up on the sidewalk, or buzz through a red light really quickly...well, I don't think it's a good idea, but I can see why some people do it. It's like jaywalking: it's stupid and obnoxious when there's cars around, but if no one's coming, it's really not that big a deal.

My problem is that bicyclists seem to think not only that they're superior to pedestrians, but that those of us on foot should duck and cower to clear the way for wherever the bikes want to go. If you take the number of times that I've almost been hit by a car on the streets in DC, you'd have to multiply it by at least 10 to get to the number that I've almost been hit by a bike cruising at full speed through a stop sign, careening around a corner in spite of a crosswalk sign, or shooting down the sidewalk, expecting peds (who, I hate to have to point out, the sidewalks were built for) to jump out of the way, preferably with a deep bow and a hearty "Your Majesty!"

I'm all for more biking in cities, and hugely in favor of more bike-friendly streets, bike-only lanes, and any way that makes it easier for people to get around cities without cars. But I'm dead set against those bicyclists who feel completely immune to the laws and courtesies, simply because they're not motorists or pedestrians, so none of their rules apply.

Really, this is a specific argument for a more general belief, one that I hold for anyone, regardless of their mode of transportation: Laws, for the most part, are in existence not to hold people down, but to provide order. "Bicyclists should stop at red lights" was not an arbitrary law that someone came up with out of malice, but something that allows society to function at a safer, more orderly and more efficient manner.

I'll give this speech to the next bicyclist who almost runs me down as I cross a street with the light, as said bicyclist will be lying on the ground moaning after a run-in with The Stick (refer to paragraph one).

7 comments:

doug said...

Hey, I'm right there in total agreement with you! To borrow an appropriate term I read recently on another blog - those "fucktards" tend to ruin it for the rest of us cyclists who try to follow the rules. I mean, there is nothing more damaging to the reputation of people on bikes than assholes who don't follow the rules of the road, which, simply put, are generally the same as for a car: specifically, you never ride on the sidewalk; you stop at all red lights and stop signs; pedestrians have the right-of-way; and you ride in the direction of traffic (in fact, while it is suggested that you should ride on or near the shoulder, I advocate riding within traffic while in a city environment - you are more visible to cars, and it's easier to "go with the flow"). Anyway, having not ridden in a large city, I can't speak for the community there, but I can say that in a more sub-urban area like Nashville, I know that most cyclists do try to follow the rules of the road...I have seen my fair share of assholes though. Anyway, be careful out there, but don't blame us all - please?

doug said...

Oh, and one more tip (in case there are a lot of people who come across here looking for how-to-bike tips) - if riding on a greenway or a place where you have to share with pedestrians, if coming up behind someone, a simple "on your left" or "howdy" goes a long way - they might even thank you for it. Slowing down when approaching people also helps somewhat. Just sayin'.

Reid said...

Nah...I wouldn't blame everyone. It's just that blogger habit of taking something that's a mild annoyance and turning it into the greatest crime in the world. More fun that way.

It's mostly in the cities that it's a problem. Most bikers are pretty good on the trails and paths around town. I blame the bike messenger culture, the crazy fearless deathwish folks who plow through everyone and everything to get where they need to go on time.

But it really is amazing around downtown...I would say that the bikers I see who are courteous is maybe 10% or so. It really is this attitude that everyone should get out of their way.

Megarita said...

Bike messengers in NYC were, for at least a while, one of the top three reasons for pedestrian injuries. A friend of mine lost it completely once and ran after a biker, grabbed the messenger, and started pounding the shit out of him after a rather more egregious "your majesty!" moment. Many scars and charges pressed on both sides, but he said he felt Waaaaaay better afterwards. Bring on the Stick, I say.

I think a "howdy" would be a lovely change of pace in DC, personally!

Anonymous said...

I bet it is in some ways easier to be a biker in DC. I mean, drivers are at least somewhat used to the idea. Hopefully. I've been shocked by stories from my outposts down south about bikers having trash thrown at them by passing cars and such nonsense.

I would jump on the back of somebody's bike and ride off into the sunset if they said "Howdy" to me on Rock Creek Park.

I have diagnosed pedestrian rage. I've been hit by a car, accosted by lunatic bikers, segway riders and skateboarders. Thank God for 'ludes.

doug said...

Yeah, I actually like riding in downtown areas - usually the traffic is going slower, and it's easier to be seen and such. Though, riding out in rural areas also has it's advantages. Really, the worst places to ride are in sprawl areas - where roads are narrow, traffic is fast, cars are bigger, and people seem to be much more unaware of their surroundings. I haven't had anything thrown at me (thankfully), but I have been yelled at and almost run off the road and the worst: have somebody pass and then turn right in front of me. Now I guess I have to worry about Reid sticking sticks in my spokes ;)

m.a. said...

You are so right about this one. On my walk to work, I have been nearly hit several times. No one even has the courtesty to say "on your right!" or "on your left" or whatever the cyclists are supposed to say. Yes, bikes are cool, but safety is cooler.