Are Seven has moved! Go to areseven.com

This page has moved from its Blogspot origins and is now on a hosted server. If you're getting here from a blogspot.com bookmark or feed, stop where you are, go to areseven.com and never look back.

If you're feeling lazy, just hang on a couple seconds and you'll be redirected automatically.


Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Are Seven's tips for the lazy/busy blogger #16

Analyze one of your urban walking trips for a "Funny thing happened to me on the way to" story. There's always something.

Last night, as my good friend Weston and I headed home from dinner through Dupont Circle, we noticed a man standing just outside the benches on the inner part of the circle. He was, for some unknown reason, holding a full halogen floor lamp, and had it tilted slightly so that the bulb was pointing at us.

He called out, "Could I get some money for the train home?" I replied, "Sorry...", because I feel that it's better to at least acknowledge instead of ignore (even though this can get some nasty responses, like, "You're not sorry...").

I guess I was eyeing his lamp a little too closely, because he said, "You can't have this, it's mine" and then--and I can't emphasize this next part enough--turns on the lamp. Either this guy is Merlin, or there are electrical sockets in Dupont Circle that I wasn't aware of, but either way, it gave his claim to the lamp a very dramatic touch. We had no interest in his lamp in the first place, but after that display of light, we weren't going to touch it.

2 comments:

Washington Cube said...

How eerie. I've never of those lamps being battery driven, either.

d-lee said...

Joke's on you, pally. That dude had a wicked long drop cord going to your apartment. He told me so himself. He knew you weren't going to "loan" him 73 cents, so he went ahead and pirated at least that much electricity off you.