Are Seven has moved! Go to areseven.com

This page has moved from its Blogspot origins and is now on a hosted server. If you're getting here from a blogspot.com bookmark or feed, stop where you are, go to areseven.com and never look back.

If you're feeling lazy, just hang on a couple seconds and you'll be redirected automatically.


Thursday, June 01, 2006

A Brazilian revolution in sound for a status quo American

I've been trying to be reasonably healthy this week. I've been keeping away from alcohol, I've been trying to do without the little over-the-counter "sleep aids" that I've come to rely on to get me through the night, and I've been getting up early to go to the gym. As a result of all of these things, I haven't been sleeping much, and then I wonder the next day why I'm in such a cranky mood when nothing really happened before I remember, "Oh, right. No sleep."

Last night found me in exactly such a mood, but as always, my good friend music had just the thing to see me through. This time, in came in the form of the Soul Jazz Tropicalia comp that I finally found and paid too much for on Tuesday. But it was worth every dollar as I sat in my shadowy living room (note: I like my living rooms shadowy), taking in the sound of Tropicalia: Brazilian music under the influence of American and British music under the influence of the LSD culture. It sounded perfect for the hot air, the quiet room and my electively lonely night.

Of course, I'm sharing. I would tell you to pick up the CD, but it seems to only be available on import, which means it's about $28 for a single CD. It's worth it, but you may not want to drop that kind of cash, so here's some of the songs that do it for me:

Gilberto Gil & Os Mutates, "Domingo No Parque"
Gilberto Gil, "Procissão"
Gal Costa, "Sebastiana"
Jorge Ben, "Take It Easy, My Brother Charles"
...just a little something to help enjoy your summer and/or provide a soundtrack to your one-man play about the riots in the streets of Rio in the late '60's. That was you working on that, right?

8 comments:

doug said...

yeah, it's pretty great - thanks to xtian for the suggestion in Chicago. The other day I picked up a similar compilation for Panamanian calypso, funk, etc - it's called, ready for it, "Panama! Latin, Calypso, and Funk on the Isthmus 1965-75"..another good one for hot, muggy nights.

Anonymous said...

Doug, I meant to ask you: did your's come with any sort of sleeve/info/booklet? Apparently the cd issue has a rather lengthy book (right Reid?). My lp's have no info. I guess it's not so bad, but the dork in me wants to know a little bit about the artists/the movement.

Reid said...

Doug, that's a great recommendation, but the LAST thing that I need is yet ANOTHER Panamanian funk and calypso comp. I'm so done with Panamanian funk. I'm much more into Costa Rican skiffle.

Xtian, there is indeed a fat book that comes with the CD, and it better have. You can borrow it sometime.

doug said...

i didn't get no freaking book - but I didn't pay 28 bucks either. for 18 bucks, you get the no book version.

and yeah, reid, I know - yet another Panamanian funk comp - jeezus! Can I interest you in some Belizian Be-Bop?

Anonymous said...

Reid, where are you finding Soul Jazz stuff around here? The only place I have ever seen them is in the Chicago stores@

Reid said...

I got this one at the Tower in Foggy Bottom, but I've seen it at Crooked Beat as well. When Xtian, Doug and I went to Dusty Groove in Chicago, they were loaded with Soul Jazz stuff and that's where they both bought this album on LP.

Anonymous said...

Actually, I got my Tropicalia comp at Other Music, in NYC. But I did pick up another Soul Jazz Studio One comp whilst in Chicago. Anyways...yeah, Tower usually has plenty of Soul Jazz discs. This comment was basically pointless.

Anonymous said...

Gotcha, I haven't been in Tower in eons. Might be worth a trip.