Are Seven has moved! Go to areseven.com

This page has moved from its Blogspot origins and is now on a hosted server. If you're getting here from a blogspot.com bookmark or feed, stop where you are, go to areseven.com and never look back.

If you're feeling lazy, just hang on a couple seconds and you'll be redirected automatically.


Monday, July 24, 2006

Overheard in DC

The list of my favorite things that I've heard from passers by on the streets of my neighborhood just got a new entry. While walking back from breakfast on Saturday morning, I passed by a couple who was looking every bit the overweight, out-of-place tourists, complete with fanny packs. The woman was talking on her phone, and saying in an incredulous voice that couldn't be described in type:

"We're walking around! Ha! On the street!!"
Now, it's entirely possible that I'm taking this grossly out of context. Maybe it was an inside joke, maybe there was a perfectly understandable explanation for it. But it sounded (and, frankly, looked) for all the world to me like a person amazed at being able to use her feet for honest-to-God transportation. I really hope that I misunderstood, because it's depressing to think that suburban society has come to the point where walking is a novelty.

No comments: