Are Seven has moved! Go to areseven.com

This page has moved from its Blogspot origins and is now on a hosted server. If you're getting here from a blogspot.com bookmark or feed, stop where you are, go to areseven.com and never look back.

If you're feeling lazy, just hang on a couple seconds and you'll be redirected automatically.


Monday, August 28, 2006

Trapped!

When you're dependent on walking and public transportation like I am, the excitment of an invitation to a party can deflate pretty quickly when you find out that the location is a place that was built by people who assume that everyone has a car and that's how everyone gets around. In other words, it's in the suburbs.

It's not that I totally hate the suburbs. A thought that's been floating around my head lately is that in all the press and talk about the upswing in crime or rowdy city nightlifers, no one seems to make the connection that that's why people wanted to live in the suburbs in the first place. They're safer, they're quieter, they're (kind of) cheaper, and you get more breathing room and personal freedom. Suburbs are not the random imaginings of a corporate mind; they're a logical creation by people who longed to leave the city and were finally able to do so when they got cars.

But I prefer city living and my years of apartment living and carlessness have created an itchy discomfort when I'm back in the suburbs and the parking lot space outnumbers buildings and people about 20-1. Add to that discomfort that it's hard to socially motivate when you're looking at a complex strategy of transportation, and it took a good bit of convincing to go to this party. But the people going were fun folks, and I had some companions in my trek out to Rockville so I went.

Getting out there wasn't too much trouble. Some walking, a long Metro ride, a long cab ride. But when we tried to leave at around midnight, I started to feel that any city snobbery I have is totally justified. It's not that we were expecting to walk to the massive strip mall across the street from the apartment park we were in and hail a cab, but we couldn't even get a cab company to send a car. It was "try back in 30 minutes" this and "won't have a car for at least an hour" that. As though we needed to underscore the car's dominance in this neighborhood, my friend Nina tried to find some good in the situation and at least get a Krispy Kreme while we were standing right next to the store, only to find that just the drive-through was open, but they wouldn't serve her because she didn't have a car. And then a double-underscore when we finally had to go back to the party to ask the hostess to drive us to the Metro station.

I know that it's boring for someone who lives in the center of the city to whine about the absence of soul in the suburbs, but I was really overwhelmed at the single dimension of the neighborhood. It's not that it was boring and I wanted to get back to my liberal-elite city life and look down on those different than me...it was that it felt so inefficient. We could walk to that one shopping center from that one apartment complex, but we couldn't do anything else without a car, and even in that one shopping center, we couldn't go to the one place that was still open because we didn't have a car.

It really hit me just how much we've painted ourselves into a corner with the automobile. In a lot of ways, cars are really efficient and fun and convenient. But we've come to rely so much on them that huge parts of this country are set up for cars and cars only. If there is any sort of absolute gas crisis, any sudden change that makes it impossible for people to have cars, a huge portion of this country is completely and totally screwed. And will have a harder time getting Krispy Kremes.

3 comments:

L said...

I took a bus once to seven corners for a critical, extremely necessary, on sale household item. I spent a lot of time browsing magazines in a 7-11, and running out every 5 minutes to check ‘Is it here? Can I see it coming around that third brick housing complex? Is that 7A scrolling in light bright type?’ The bus was so late at one point, I considered slugging.

Have you ever thought about all of the unused cars? The ones that sit during the day in parking lots, or don’t move for weeks at time because the owner doesn’t want to lose his spot. What if they were still horses? Thousands of horse milling about, leaving piles of manure on the yellow parking lines. There would be a city ordinance requiring waste removal and regulations requiring special permits to leave horses unattended for longer then 3 hours. Maybe we would share then? Oh wait, we already had horses.

Have you tried zipcar? The price is sometimes hard to swallow for an evening out, but with a group, not bad.

Reid said...

I need to check out this whole Zipcar thing, especially after seeing that there are definitely times when it would be nice to have a car.

But part of the problem with that is the whole drinking and driving thing. I've gotten so used to not having to worry about it over the last two years that...well, come to think of it, maybe my liver would let out a little cheer if I had to limit myself for whatever reason.

Sean Hennessey said...

nice post. i hear ya.