Are Seven has moved! Go to areseven.com

This page has moved from its Blogspot origins and is now on a hosted server. If you're getting here from a blogspot.com bookmark or feed, stop where you are, go to areseven.com and never look back.

If you're feeling lazy, just hang on a couple seconds and you'll be redirected automatically.


Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Kickin' it with Jesus

I would love nothing more than to write a long, rambling review of Jesus Camp, which I watched last night. But, hey...time, time, time, see what's become of me. So we'll just have to get all stuffy and business-like and bust out the bullet points.

  • Amazing. Not at all surprising and horrifying at the same time.
  • While it sometimes seems heavy-handed, I can see the evangelicals that are in this movie seeing it as a perfect portrayal of them; not having a problem with the editing at all. They come across as I'm sure they'd want to: as doing absolutely anything for Christ.
  • There are two charismatic kids that they follow pretty closely. One is a 12-year-old whose confidence and belief is incredible to watch. His faith is so sincere that he makes even the most genuine of the adults look wishy-washy in comparison.
  • While I would hesitate to say that I admire the people running the camp, I do respect their conviction. While it's a conviction that I feel hurts the country, there's nothing in the liberal or secular world that comes close to the kind of community and involvement that religious faith brings to a group. It's a flaw in the the logical, scientific way of looking at the world that we can't just put our blind faith in something and allow it to carry us through inconsistencies, scandals and petty differences.
  • Highly recommended.
Flawed post complete.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh, it is next in my queue and should be coming to see me later this week. I cannot flippin' wait to see it!

m.a. said...

I'm putting this one on the netflix queue. That was just the push I needed. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I put blind faith in my NCAA bracket picks, does that count?

Reid said...

Susan and Momentary: definitely worth watching. As a matter of fact, I kept it around because I'm considering watching it again tonight with the commentary turned on.

Scott: no.

By the way, speaking of the NCAA brackets, you've GOT to go watch that video where a couple makes their toddler choose allegiances between their schools. And boy, does that kid have a preference! Hilarity ensues.

Anonymous said...

That video is damn funny (even if a little bit cruel). One day, I see my kid giving me that reaction when I tell him the Cowboys just beat the Eagles. I will be so proud. ;)