Are Seven has moved! Go to areseven.com

This page has moved from its Blogspot origins and is now on a hosted server. If you're getting here from a blogspot.com bookmark or feed, stop where you are, go to areseven.com and never look back.

If you're feeling lazy, just hang on a couple seconds and you'll be redirected automatically.


Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Random played randomness

Part of the conceit behind this here blog is there's never any time when there's nothing to talk about. And while I do still feel that way, that there's always some subject, current event or fat-kid-dancing YouTube video to kick start some conversation, I've also compiled a pretty hefty list of subjects that won't ever appear on this page. Some of them are too personal, some of them are too boring, some of them would take me far too long to write, and today, I have nothing but these subjects floating around in my head.

So today, I'll be reaching into my Big Bag Of Cop-Out Post Topics to find a topic. And today's topic is...{drumroll}...what's getting served up as I play through my Never Played playlist. The most odd of all my playlist listens, the Never Played playlist is now at over 2200 songs, thanks mostly to last winter's binge. And there's some embarrassing stuff in there. But I'm letting it all hang out, dear readers.

Here's what it's served up today (and I'll be updating it as the day goes on):

Digable Planets, "Dial 7"
Christopher Cross, "Sailing"
The Dixie Cups, "Iko Iko"
Billy Idol, "Rebel Yell (Live and Acoustic)"
T. Rex, "Get It On"
Band of Horses, "Monster"
Liz Phair, "Girls Room"
Smokey Johnson, "I Can't Help It"
Ride, "Paralyzed"
Rolling Stones, "Complicated"
DJ Shadow, "What Does Your Soul Look Like"
Rufus Wainwright, "Release the Stars"
Pink Floyd, "Fearless"
Stereolab, "Puncture In the Radak Parmutation"
Loretta Lynn, "Happy Birthday (Single Version)"
Sugarloaf, "Green-Eyed Lady"
The Turtles, "Outside Chance"
Jim Flaherty's Caravan, "Real Gone Daddy"
Van Halen, "House of Pain"
Chuck Carbo, "Can I Be Your Squeeze"
Slade, "We'll Bring The House"
Phil Collins, "I'm Not Moving"
The Monks, "Complication"
Night Ranger, "(You Can Still) Rock In America" (Oh, the shame)
The Rolling Stones, "Far Away Eyes"
Stereolab, "Ticker-Tape of the Unconscious"
Dusty Springfield, "Magic Garden"
The Cure, "End"
The Squires, "Going All The Way"
The Spinanes, "For No One Else"
Sally Shapiro, "Anorak Christmas"
Pink Floyd, "Hey You"
Air, "Playground Love"
Bon Jovi, "You Give Love A Bad Name"
Etienne Daho, "Arnold Layne"
The Sonics, "Strychnine"

4 comments:

xtianDC said...

"Fearless" is so fantastic. Do acoustic guitars sound any prettier? I very recently bought my first Pink Floyd purchase...a used copy of that lame recent two cd best of ("Echoes"). It does the trick, I guess. Unfortunately it does not have "Fearless". I have a feeling that if the only other Floyd albums I need are "Piper At the Gates of Dawn" and "Meddle" (so I can have "Fearless" natch...).

Reid said...

I don't think that Pink Floyd has much of anything that touches anything on Dark Side of The Moon. I think that's a perfect record.

By the way, "Iko Iko" and the Smokey Johnson are on a great Soul Wax comp called Saturday Night Fish Fry that's highly recommended. Great stuff.

"Girls Room" is as bad as I remember it.

Anonymous said...

The never played list is interesting. But since I don't know how to access mine, I feel like talking about how I think another interesting piece of IPod analytics lies in the many bands who have taken over your Ipod, seemingly without me -- the gentle yet feisty owner -- being consciously involved. For instance, every third song played on my Ipod seems to be My Morning Jacket, apparently downloaded in a drunken fit following an unexpectedly great show at the 9:30 Club. Who the hell is Alexi Murdoch, and how did he/she get ALL of his/her songs onto the valuable real estate of my Ipod? Sure, Wilco, Lucinda, Sebadoh, Neil Young and Modest Mouse are all over it, but I LIKE them. a lot. so why does Kelly Joe Phelps keep rearing his/her ugly head? i want answers. does areseven have answers?

Reid said...

ARESEVEN HAS ALL ANSWERS TO ALL QUESTIONS!!

You just notice the crap. Like, Wilco comes on and it floats by with all the pleasant memories and thoughts that go along with it, but then Whiney McSingersongwriter comes on and it's like being hit with a bucket of cold water. Which you notice. And remember.