Are Seven has moved! Go to areseven.com

This page has moved from its Blogspot origins and is now on a hosted server. If you're getting here from a blogspot.com bookmark or feed, stop where you are, go to areseven.com and never look back.

If you're feeling lazy, just hang on a couple seconds and you'll be redirected automatically.


Friday, May 14, 2004

Some girls

Predictably, this page has become an updated-weekly blog. I'd apologize, but I know that the only people looking at this do so only because they're procrastinating from work. So you get what you pay for. But I can honestly say that I feel it deep in my bones that this is a temporary thing. I'm moving and all, you know. Oh, you know.

So the story that I've been meaning to write down since Monday is a sad, sad one that says everything there is to say about my bad timing, the curse and scourge of my life. It goes like this:

In Brooklyn this weekend, I mentioned to Christian on Saturday morning that I'd never had a New York celebrity encounter, unless you count seeing the guy who plays Big Pussy in The Sopranos, which I don't since I've never seen an episode of the Sopranos in my life. Don't you have to know who someone is without being told for them to be a celebrity? It's our culture's tree-falls-in-the-woods question.

There was a celebrity-less brunch on Sunday afternoon, which I had to leave early to meet Nicole in Jersey City for a ride back to DC. As I was about to get on the PATH train, Christian calls me on my cell phone, which I assume was to tell me that I'd left something behind, because I always leave something behind. But the news was even worse:

Christian: "We just had a celebrity sighting."
Reid: "NOOOOOO! Who was it?!"
Christian: "Jennifer Connelly."

I guess I should be happy for my friends who got to see her, but for those who don't know, Jennifer Connelly was my absolute, all-time #1 high school celebrity crush. She gained the title when, early one morning when I was watching TV one summer vacation at my uncle's house in Virginia Beach, a little channel surfing turned up Jane Pauley interviewing the star of Labyrinth, and I swear that my jaw has never dropped further since. And even though I grew out of it somewhat, and stopped watching incomprehensibly bad movies just because they had her in it, and was really turned off by her Oscar acceptance speech, she still to this day remains the standard of great beauty for me. And I could have had her only a few feet from my side and stared awe-struck at her while I waited for the crosswalk light to change.

I guess that I'll have a real New York celebrity sighting one day, but it's only going to pale in comparison, unless it's one of my other life heroes, like Jarvis Cocker or Kermit the Frog.

No comments: