Are Seven has moved! Go to areseven.com

This page has moved from its Blogspot origins and is now on a hosted server. If you're getting here from a blogspot.com bookmark or feed, stop where you are, go to areseven.com and never look back.

If you're feeling lazy, just hang on a couple seconds and you'll be redirected automatically.


Thursday, July 13, 2006

Ancient history, like when this movie was released

Proving once again that I'm a good year or two behind the rest of the world when it comes to movies, I saw Troy last night, watching it on my couch with my close friends Chianti and Mozzarella.

But while I actually thought that the movie was pretty good (except for the stupid Achilles love story) and had some really nice lines and decent plotting, my thoughts were really limited to these two:

1. Where was the uproar over this movie's clearly pro-Trojan bias? I can't remember anyone writing an editorial about the unfair shake that Wolfgang Petersen gave to Agamemnon, portraying the Trojans as honorable and the Greeks as bloodthirsty. I'm shocked that there weren't the same sort of questions over bias that surrounded Spielberg's Munich. I'm telling you: if anyone dares question the power of Troy anymore, just see this movie. The Trojan lobby clearly got to the filmmakers. Creepy.

2. Who was the idiot who decided to name a condom after the people of Troy, whose slight weakness let in a small amount of soldiers and made the supposedly-strong walls completely useless? I can't be the first person to think that this is a really flawed analogy for birth control.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Or the creator is just profoundly cynical and knows the typical American wouldn’t put that together. Also consider that Tojans are only 98% effective, I think you have a pretty accurate representation of the walls of Troy.