Are Seven has moved! Go to areseven.com

This page has moved from its Blogspot origins and is now on a hosted server. If you're getting here from a blogspot.com bookmark or feed, stop where you are, go to areseven.com and never look back.

If you're feeling lazy, just hang on a couple seconds and you'll be redirected automatically.


Thursday, July 20, 2006

Long time no see

It's been a long time since we've talked music, my oddly-faithful Are Seven readers. This is partly because I haven't been rocked by too much lately. Rolled? Sure. But rocked? Hardly. I had a number of working theories--that I can't listen on headphones anymore, that I buy too much music with my eMusic subscription, that it's too darn hot--but I've been reading in personal emails and public blogs that a lot of people have been feeling a little meh about the 2006 batch of tunes. There's plenty of really good music--there ALWAYS is plenty of good music being made, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise--but it's the *great* section that's been a little underpopulated.

Some of the stuff I've really enjoyed this year, I've already shared with you. Phoenix's It's Never Been Like That is a summertime must. I still really love the Camera Obscura album, especially the gorgeous "Razzle Dazzle Rose". I still sneak back to The Life Pursuit every now and then. The Arctic Monkey's debut not only remains a pleasure, but unlike, say, Oasis, further listening actually reveals that the lyrics are pretty fantastic. Best debut of all time? One of the greatest albums ever? Nah. But it's a blast.

The Herbert album? It's really good, but yet another album that I'm not compelled to return to. I don't get the fuss over Calexico's new one. It sounds like the album of a really good local bar band that worships REM and Springsteen. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but I'll have to listen more to find the unique appeal. The James Figurine record is fine, but sounds like him biding time until Gibbard clears some time in his calendar for the next Postal Service record. The Thom Yorke is surprisingly good, but I have a hard time putting it on when it's sunny out.* The Sufjan Stevens is nice to listen to, of course, but all the songs sound like the outtakes they are: good, but it's pretty clear why it didn't make the album cut.

My latest surpise is how much I love the Lily Allen album, which is now streaming on that awesome Dutch site 3voor12. It's in my shopping cart and I'm waiting anxiously for the August 1st release date to check out. Any fans of quality pop music (like, full-force pop; not indiepop), fans of sitting outside with sunny music or inside with beer and loud tunes must check this out.**

* While I love the song "Analyze", what amazed me is Thommy Boy recreating "The Clock" on just an acoustic guitar. Flooring!

** If you're over at 3voor12 anyway, check out the Peter, Bjorn and John album as well, which, on first listen, sounded great. Quality trippy indiepop.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would it be heretical to suggest that the new Camera Obscura might be better than the new B&S? I think I've gotten more enjoyment out of it, anyways. Plus it's the one record these days that I can pretty much guarantee the fiance will sing along too...that's enough reason to play it right there for me! Also, good call on this Peter Bjorn & John...sounds nice.

Reid said...

It's not heretical; just concerning. You clearly need to listen to The Life Pursuit more. I love the Camera Obscura records, but the last two B&S records are so catchy it's magical.

That's right. I said "magical".

Anonymous said...

Why don't you wear headphones?

Reid said...

I was screwing up my hearing.

doug said...

too hot to rock?! I think NOT.

party on.

d-lee said...

Yeah. THe new CO is freakin DOPE!!!

I got a special treat back in March when they played at the 506 as part of a three city US tour, so I had a sneak preview.

I missed the chance to see them again when they came round a few weeks ago, but the way they play "Razzle Dazzle Rose" live is jaw-dropping.

I ran into our boy Mac Superchunk at a Canes game and we rapped for a while about CO. He was really excited about the new record, as well he should be.