Are Seven has moved! Go to areseven.com

This page has moved from its Blogspot origins and is now on a hosted server. If you're getting here from a blogspot.com bookmark or feed, stop where you are, go to areseven.com and never look back.

If you're feeling lazy, just hang on a couple seconds and you'll be redirected automatically.


Saturday, July 08, 2006

Shut up with the itsy bitsy spider!

It's not like I was in danger of ever being an M. Night Shymalan fan. First of all, the man has a cool name like "Night" and ruins it by throwing his first initial in there?! Insanity! Secondly, his movies. I liked The Sixth Sense, didn't see Unbreakable (home invasions and rape are two subjects that don't sit well with me at all), thought that Signs was one of the worst movies I've ever seen (please ask me about it sometime when you have an hour to spare) and actually thought that The Village was decent, but that was probably only because Signs had set my expectations so low that I could have watched just about any terrible movie (except Signs) and thought it was decent.

But I have to admit that I was kind of intrigued by the first few trailers for his new movie. It wasn't that it looked good or anything, but Paul Giamatti is great, so that helped, and the cheap sense of mystery in the trailer worked on me, because I'm cheap.

I am no longer intrigued. I'm disgusted. Why? Because as cheap as I am, one cliche that I can't stomach is exactly the one that Night puts in the latest commercials for his film: the little kid singing a nursery song as a way to get across forboding. ARGH!

And now, no amount of Bryce Dallas Howard could make me see this movie.

Sorry. I just had to get that off my chest.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Saw your headline on DC Blogs Live and thought you must be talking about the Cleveland Park saxophonist. "Itsy Bitsy Spider" is part of his limited repertoire, though he only breaks into it when a little kid walks by.

I agree about Shyamalan (by the way, his real middle name is Nelliyattu), except that I saw "Unbreakable" and not "The Village". He started out with a good first movie, and it seems he's never going to even reach that level again, much less surpass it.

akaijen said...

My dryer has some kind of setting called "6th Sense" that must means it sees dead people.

I'm convinced that M Night could do a better job without Spielberg lurking around his productions. Man, that guy has a sentimental streak like no other!

Anonymous said...

I actually thought Unbreakable was a pretty underrated movie. There were some corny parts to it (Sam Jackson's character especially) but aside from the superhero stuff, I found Bruce Willis' character pretty interesting.

I liked The 6th Sense, but I figured out the "twist" to The Village early on in the movie which kind of ruined it for me. Signs would have been better if they didn't show the alien in the end. The eeriness of his movies comes from the fear of the unknown, and seeing the alien just seemed like a lame gimmick. Plus the real stories of his movies are not the creepy parts, but the emotional conflicts of the characters.

The one thing I really don't like about M. Night though is that he's a huge Eagles fan.

Anonymous said...

You know, I think Signs would have been much better if it had decided what it wanted to be. The campy parts were AWESOME (like the scene where whathisname Phoenix attempts to join the army, how wierd was that?) and the scary parts were very scary (though admittedly, I am wimpy. But camp and fright don't often make compatable bedfellows.