Are Seven has moved! Go to areseven.com

This page has moved from its Blogspot origins and is now on a hosted server. If you're getting here from a blogspot.com bookmark or feed, stop where you are, go to areseven.com and never look back.

If you're feeling lazy, just hang on a couple seconds and you'll be redirected automatically.


Monday, October 22, 2007

Calibrating my cheering compass

There's a book idea that's been building up in me for a good while now. I'm not really sure what form it would end up taking or how I would approach it, but the basic idea is that it would be an informal look at sports fandom in the South and West. These are the areas of the country that the population is migrating to, and as a result, they have brand new teams and citizens whose histories and ancestries are in other parts of the country. Which leads to the perception that they have bad, fair-weather fans, which is both unfair and accurate.

It's frustrating to me and my years of Houston sports fandom, for some reasons that I can justify and other reasons that are no more than emotional annoyances. But I've found myself rooting for those newer teams that are from cities that I would never want to live in, those teams that have uniform identity crises, that can't fill their stadiums even in the playoffs. There are northern sports fans and writers that can't seem to accept that those other teams actually have fans who get upset when their team loses and who have waited for years to see their teams win. I love seeing that tilt in history, that forcing of people to accept that even teams that aren't old enough to have black-and-white footage of them still get to win every now and then, too.

All this is a badly-phrased way of saying that I'm throwing my hat straight into the center of the Rockies' ring. And I only have one hat. It's a Texans cap.

2 comments:

doug said...

I'm pretty happy because I just found my Rockies hat that I had in college - bought when they first started up (although, admittadly, I was into them because they were named after a mountain range, but still!). Anyway, go Rockies!

Hans said...

Yeah! Dug's playing for the Rockies again, woo-hoo!