Are Seven has moved! Go to areseven.com

This page has moved from its Blogspot origins and is now on a hosted server. If you're getting here from a blogspot.com bookmark or feed, stop where you are, go to areseven.com and never look back.

If you're feeling lazy, just hang on a couple seconds and you'll be redirected automatically.


Monday, October 03, 2005

The 'stros knows

I am loving my Astros today. After starting the year with a record that would even make the Reds blush, they rallied like the mud-and-blood has in their recent history and clinched the NL wildcard spot on the last day of the season for the second year in a row. As proud as you can be for a bunch of people you don't even know from a city you haven't been to in a decade, I am so goddamn proud of them. *sniff* I promised myself...I wouldn't cry.

This is my favorite idiotic statistic of all time:

Houston started the season 15-30 and became the first team to make the postseason after falling 15 games under .500 since the 1914 Boston Braves.
Okay, okay...so the way that was written, we don't know if this is a statistic that refers only to teams that were exactly 15 games under .500 and you can be picky and say that it doesn't really mean much since the wild card has only been around for a decade, but that dumb stat still gives me a surge of joy to see. 1914! That amazing turnaround alone means I can honestly say that anything good they do from here on out is gravy. I haven't felt this way since 2004!

You damn Astros! I love you so much! Today.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not only did they clinch the wild card on the last day of the season for the second year in a row...they did it against the same pitcher (Greg Maddux). Fate? Destiny? Astro-logy?

The Orioles have almost the opposite stat: first team (or first in a while) to go from leading their division mid-way through to more than 15 games back. Ugh.

Reid said...

Fate? Destiny? Nope. Wrong? Yes. It would have been great if it had happened that way last year, but the Astros beat the Rockies in the last game last year to clinch the wild card.

Anonymous said...

Dangit, that's the second thing I misheard on SportsCenter this weekend. I need to start paying better attention.

Reid said...

Look at what these idiots are predicting. What are they trying to do, give me hope? Jerks.